Looking for the perfect appetizer to eat on Thanksgiving or Christmas day? Here is a great appetizer recipe that goes well with wine, particularly our flavorful pomegranate wine!
Taken from the third edition of The America’s Test Kitchen: Family Cookbook*, their bruschetta with tomatoes and basil is a fast, easy and great addition to the family table:
4 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and chopped medium
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1 (12 by 5-inch) loaf crust Italian or Fresno bead, sliced 1 inch thick
1 garlic clove peeled and sliced in half
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Can substitute other herbs for basil.
- Mix tomatoes and basil together.
- Add salt and pepper for extra flavor.
- Adjust oven rack 4 inches from broiler element and heat broiler.
- Place bread on baking sheet.
- Broil, turning once, until bread is golden brown on both sides (takes 2 to 7 minutes).
- Rub garlic clove over one side of the toasted slices.
- Brush on olive oil on same side.
- Drive tomato-basil mixture of excess liquid and spoon it over each slice of breaf before serving.
And it’s ready to go! Goes great with our new Trail Blazer wine, so go ahead, try it!
*Source: The America’s Test Kitchen: Family Cookbook. 3rd ed. Brookline: Editor’s at America’s Test Kitchen, 2010. Print.